Principal Research Scientist
- Norwegian University of Science and Technology, M.Sc. ("Sivilingeniør"), Industrial Economics and Technology Management, 1997
- Norwegian University of Science and Technology, PhD., Electrical Power Engineering, 2004
Audun Botterud is a Principal Research Scientist in LIDS. The main goal of his research is to improve the understanding of the complex interactions between engineering, economics, and policy in electricity markets, and ultimately enable the transition towards a cost efficient and reliable low-carbon energy system. He is particularly interested in integration of renewable energy and energy storage into a smarter electricity grid. Towards this end, he uses analytical methods from operations research and decision science combined with fundamental principles of electrical power engineering and energy economics. At a more general level, his research focuses on decision making under uncertainty in complex systems. Dr. Botterud has 15 years of experience in modeling and analysis of electricity markets and renewable energy in the United States and Europe, and he and is currently leading several projects on grid integration of wind power, solar energy, and energy storage. Dr. Botterud is also a Principal Energy Systems Engineer at Argonne National Laboratory. He was previously with SINTEF Energy Research in Trondheim, Norway.
- Electricity markets
- Grid integration of renewable energy
- Energy storage, demand response, smart grid solutions
- Forecasting of wind and solar power
- Planning and operation of low-carbon energy systems
- Decisions under uncertainty
- Optimization, modeling, and simulation
Books and Book Chapters:
- A. Botterud, “Forecasting Renewable Energy for Grid Operations,” in Jones L. (ed) “Renewable Energy Integration: Practical Management of Variability, Uncertainty, and Flexibility in Power Grids,” pp. 137-148, Elsevier, 2014.
- A. Botterud, N. Abdel-Karim, M.D. Ilic, “Generation Planning under Uncertainty with Variable Resources,” in “Engineering IT-Enabled Sustainable Electricity Services: The Tale of Two Low-Cost Green Azores Islands,” pp. 535-552, Springer, 2013.
- F. de Sisternes, J. Jenkins, A. Botterud, “The contribution of energy storage to climate change mitigation in the electricity sector,” Applied Energy, Vol. 175, pp. 368-379, 2016.
- C. Uckun, A. Botterud, J.R. Birge., “An Improved Stochastic Unit Commitment Formulation to Accommodate Wind Uncertainty,” IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 31, No. 4, pp. 2507-2517, 2016.
- N. Li, C. Uckun, E. Constantinescu, J.R. Birge, Hedman K.W., Botterud A., “Flexible Operation of Batteries in Power System Scheduling with Renewable Energy”, IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 685-696, 2016.
- T. Levin, A. Botterud, “Electricity Market Design for Generator Revenue Sufficiency with Increased Variable Generation,” Energy Policy, Vol. 87, pp. 392–406, 2015.
- S. Jin, A. Botterud, S.M. Ryan, “Temporal vs. Stochastic Granularity in Thermal Generation Capacity Planning with Wind Power,” IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 29, No. 5, pp. 2033-2041, 2014.
- Z. Zhou, A. Botterud, “Dynamic Scheduling of Operating Reserves in Co-optimized Electricity Markets with Wind Power,” IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 29, No. 1, pp.160-171, 2014.
- A. Botterud, Z. Zhou, J. Wang, J. Sumaili, H. Keko, J. Mendes, R.J. Bessa, V. Miranda, ”Demand Dispatch and Probabilistic Wind Power Forecasting in Unit Commitment and Economic Dispatch: A Case Study of Illinois,” IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, Vol. 4, No.1, pp. 250-261, 2013.
- A. Botterud, Z. Zhou, J. Wang, R.J. Bessa,H. Keko, J. Sumaili, V. Miranda, “Wind Power Trading under Uncertainty in LMP markets,” IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 27, No.2, pp. 894-903, May 2012.
- A. Botterud, M.D. Ilic, I. Wangensteen, “Optimal Investments in Power Generation under Centralized and Decentralized Decision Making,” IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 254-263, Feb. 2005.
- Y. Wang, Z. Zhou, C. Liu C., A. Botterud, “Evaluating Stochastic Methods in Power System Operations with Wind Power,” Proceedings IEEE International Energy Conference, Leuven, Belgium, Apr. 2016.
- A. Botterud, J. Wang, R.J. Bessa, H. Keko, V. Miranda, “Risk Management and Optimal Bidding for a Wind Power Producer,” IEEE Power and Energy Society General Meeting, Minneapolis, MN – USA, Jul. 2010.
- A. Botterud, M.R. Mahalik, T.D. Veselka, H.-S. Ryu, K.-W. Sohn, “Multi-Agent Simulation of Generation Expansion in Electricity Markets,” Proc. IEEE PES General Meeting, Tampa, FL - USA, Jun. 2007.
- A. Botterud, A.K. Bhattacharyya, M.D. Ilic, “Futures and spot prices - an analysis of the Scandinavian electricity market,” Proc. 34th Annual North American Power Symposium (NAPS‘02), Tempe AZ - USA, Oct. 2002.
- Z. Zhou, C. Liu, A. Botterud, “Stochastic Methods Applied to Power Systems Operations with Renewable Energy: A Review,” Report ANL/ESD-16/14, Argonne National Laboratory, Aug. 2016.
- E. Ela, M. Milligan, A. Bloom, A. Botterud, A. Townsend, T. Levin, “Evolution of Wholesale Electricity Market Design with Increasing Levels of Renewable Generation,” Technical Report NREL/TP-5D00-61765, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Sep. 2014.
- C. Monteiro, R. Bessa, V. Miranda, A. Botterud, J. Wang, G. Conzelmann, “Wind Power Forecasting: State-of-the-Art 2009,” Report ANL/DIS-10-1, Argonne National Laboratory, Nov.2009.