Sanjoy K. Mitter
Professor of Electrical Engineering
- 1954 B.S., Mathematics, Calcutta University, India
- 1957 B.Sc., Engineering, ACGI, Imperial College of Science and Technology, London
- 1965 Ph.D., Electrical Engineering, Imperial College, London
Sanjoy K. Mitter joined MIT in 1969 where he has been a professor of electrical engineering since 1973. He joined the Electron Systems Laboratory (renamed the Laboratory for Information and Decision Systems in 1978) at the same time and was the director of LIDS from 1981 to 1999. He has also been a professor of mathematics at the Scuola Normale, Pisa, Italy, from 1986 to 1996. Professor Mitter was awarded the AACC Richard E. Bellman Control Heritage Award for 2007.
He was the McKay Professor at the University of California, Berkeley, in March 2000, and held the Russell-Severance-Springer Chair in fall of 2003. He is a fellow of the IEEE and a member of the National Academy of Engineering. He is the winner of the 2000 IEEE Control Systems Award and was elected a Foreign Member of Istituto Veneto di Scienze, Lettere ed Arti in 2003.
His current research interests are Communication and control in a networked environment, the relationship of statistical and quantum physics to information theory and control, and autonomy and adaptiveness for integrative organization.
Book and Book Chapters:
- A. Bensoussan, G. Da Prato, M.C Delfour, and S.K. Mitter, Representation and Control of Infinite Dimensional Systems, Second Edition, Birkauser, Boston, 2007.
- A.C.G. Mennucci and Sanjoy K. Mitter, Probabilita’ e Informazione, Edizione della Normale, 2008.
- S.K. Mitter and N.J. Newton, “A Variational Approach to Nonlinear Estimation,” SIAM Journal on Control, Vol. 42, No. 5 (2004), pp. 1813-1833.
- S.K. Mitter and N.J. Newton, “Information and Entropy Flow in the Kalman-Bucy Filter,” J. of Stat. Phys, 118 (2005), pp. 145-176.
- S.K. Mitter and S. Tatikonda, “Control Under Communication Constraints," IEEE Trans. on Auto. Control, Vol. 49, Issue 7, July 2004, pp. 1056 - 1068.
- A. Sahai and S.K. Mitter, “The Necessity and Sufficiency of Anytime Capacity for Stabilization of a Linear System Over a Noisy Communication Link, Part I: Scalar Systems,” IEEE Trans. on Info. Theory, 52, 8, pp. 3369-3395, Aug. 2006.
- S.K. Mitter, “On the Analogy Between Mathematical Problems of Non-Linear Filtering and Quantum Mechanics,” Ricerche di Automatica, Special Issue on System Theory and Physics, 10(2):163-216, Dec. 1979.
- S.K. Mitter, Panelist: NSF Workshop on Frontiers in Distributed Communication, Sensing and Control, Yale University, Oct. 31-Nov. 2, 2008.
- S.K. Mitter, Invited Speaker: IISc Centennial Conference, Bangalore, India, Dec. 14-16, 2008. Title of lecture: Distributed Energy Systems.
- S.K. Mitter, TIFR Workshop on Graphical Models, Statistical Inference and Algorithms, Jan. 5-11, 2009.
- S.K. Mitter, Invited Speaker: NSF Workshop on Horizons in Infinite Dimensional Deterministic and Stochastic Systems with Applications to Engineering, Jan. 30-31, 2009.
- S.K. Mitter, IIT, Bombay, India: 3 Lectures on Bayesian Inference and Statistical Mechanics, Jan. 12-16, 2009.
- S.K. Mitter, Plenary speaker: COMCON Conference, Seoul, South Korea, June 2009.
- Central Electricity Research Board Fellow, Imperial College, London 1962-1965
- IEEE Fellow 1979
- Member, National Academy of Engineering 1988
- IEEE Control Systems Award 2000
- Foreign Member, Istituto Veneto di Scienze, Lettere ed Arti 2003
- AACC Richard E. Bellman Control Heritage Award for 2007 2006
- NSF “Control over Networks,” joint with D.P. Bertsekas
- NSF “Colloborative Research: CDI-Type II: Discovery of Succinct Dynamical Relationships in Large Scale Biological Data Sets,” joint with E. Brown
- MIT-Portugal Program, Portuguese Science and Technology Foundation
- Siemens, AG